Name:
Location: Maracay, Aragua, Venezuela

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Grammar Exercises

SEMICOLONS AND COMAS USED TO SEPARATE (Andrea and Mariana)
1- In the last 3 years I have traveled to Canada, Japan, Brasil, London, France and Italy.
2- Mariana ate this morning, toast bread with butter, eggs, cereal, orange juice and coffe.
3- The burnet, tall man told me that the store was closed.
4- The cat chased the mouse, and the mouse ran away.
5- He never arrived, so I went by myself to the party.
6- My husband went to the beach; I went to a party.
7- In the trailer we packed our sleeping bags; which were very heavy.
8- As I was studying; the postman rang twice.
9- Summer in the desert is very hot; the cactus plant is well adapted for survival there.
10- I have often tried to grow African violets; I have never been successful.
PERIOD, QUESTION MARKS AND EXCLAMATION POINT (Francisco and Stella)
1- 1.______________________________________________
2.______________________________________________
A= Periods are used after the numbers and letters in an outline.
2- Ave. (avenue) Co. (company) St. (street) blvd. (boulevard)
A= Periods are used after abbreviations used in adresses.
3- why are you happy? because i pass the exam.
A= Periods are used at the end of the answer to a question.
4- good afternoon. good night. good morning.
A= Periods are used after anacceptable expression wich is not a complete sentences, such a salulation.
5- Dear Mr. martinez im writing you this letter just to thanks for your help
A= Periods are used after abbreviations in ordinary writing.
6- she asked me if you were interesting to buy the carpet.
A= Periods are used at the end of an idirect question.
7- stella is very good at maths.
A= Periods are used after a complete statement.
8- what do you want for dinner?
A= A question mark is used after a direct question, one that calls for an answer.
9- do you like chocolate, don`t you?
A= A question mark is used when questioning words are added tothe end of a statement. ( question tab)
10- stella said, "when will the semester ends?"did stella say, "the semester will finish next month"?
A= A question mark is used after quotation marks if it belongs to the quoted words. it is used uotside the quotation marks if it belongs to the whole sentence.
11- help me! im going to fall down!what a great news!
A= the exclamation point is used sparingly in formal writing; it should be used only to show strong feeling.
THE USE OF THE COLON (:) AND THE DASH (-) (Daniela and Brianth)
1- The things that I need to bring are:food, potatoes, drinks and napkins.
These are the things that I need to bring: food, potatoes, drinks and napkins.
2- The music was perfect: it was soft, chilli and relaxing.
3- On weekends, these are the things I prefer to do: Reeding, Writing, Sleeping.
These are the things I prefer to do on weekends: Reading, Writing and Sleeping.
4- So, what I recall is that Mark Said: "I' ve been here for a long time"
What I recall that Mark said: is that he had been there for a long time
5- When we arrived there everything was quiet: There wasn't any disturbing sound or the chaos of the city. It was Perfect!
6- Hey- my friend--come here
My friend, come here--Hey Tom!, try to arrive earlier.
7- As I was telling you, my mom is very nice--Look! there she is.
8- It is clear what I want in life--to live in peace.
Students with a 90 points quotient-- no less than that--will be awarded.
9- What I want in life is--to live in peace
It is clear what I want in life--to live in peace.
10- She only likes one thing--to drink beer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home